M.P. FOR THE CITY OF BRIDGETOWN, MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF HOUSING AND LANDS
The Hon. Patrick Todd is product and resident of Bridgetown who is acutely aware of the needs of the people of the City of Bridgetown.
Patrick received his secondary education at the Lodge School and Harrison College. He then went on to study Mathematics at the University of the West Indies and Classroom Management at Erdiston Teachers’ Training College. He worked as a Teacher and Assistant Examiner with the Caribbean Examination Council until 2007.
Patrick is a devout Christian with a unique leadership style. He served with distinction as President of the University of the West Indies Guild of Undergraduates at the Cave Hill Campus and Chairperson of several community and sports organizations. He regularly organizes sporting events and donates prizes and sports gear to participants of soccer, cricket, netball, road tennis and basketball tournaments throughout Bridgetown.
Since 2008, he has held the portfolios of Minister of State in the Ministry of Social Care, Constituency Empowerment and Urban Development; Minister of State in the Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development and Minister of State in the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Empowerment, Innovation, Trade, Industry and Commerce. He is now the Minister of State in the Ministry of Housing and Lands.
With these opportunities to help formulate and implement a wide range of social policies, he has, in one term, succeeded in improving the social and economic landscape of Bridgetown. Driven by his commitment to the philosophy, policies and programmes of the Democratic Labour Party, he has worked tirelessly lobbying for improvements in the living and working conditions of residents of his constituency. Below are some of his achievements so far:
- Upgraded the drainage system of the canal at Westbury and Hawkins Gap.
- Repaired the Emmerton Community Centre and established skill-training classes there.
- Sponsored the New Orleans out-of-season football competition.
- Repaired homes with the assistance from the Urban Development Commission.
- After the passing of Tropical Storm Tomas, ensured that many homes were repaired through the Tomas Relief Programme.
- Worked closely with the business community in acquiring jobs for constituents.
- Sponsored the annual “Kinz of the Court” basketball competition.
- Acquired business grants for residents to start their own small businesses.
This vital work in the constituency has merely begun and it is the intention of Patrick to build on the foundation that has been laid over the last 5 years. He therefore plans to:
- Continue the Housing Repairs Programme through the Ministry of Housing and Lands and eradicate pit-toilets in Barbados.
- Build high-rise housing units at White Park Road and Mason Hall Street for the constituents of the City of Bridgetown.
- Improve the sporting facilities in St. Paul’s Avenue, Bay Street, St. Mary’s School and Westbury Schools and erect flood lights at St. Paul’s Avenue Hard Courts.
- Provide Day-Care Centres for both the youth and the elderly.
- Provide programmes to encourage residents to become more self-sufficient and employable.
- Create activities to bridge the class gap within the constituency.
- Develop the Baxter’s Road weekend street fair, which will become the major tourist attraction for the City.
- Build a new ultra-modern sporting facility on Bay Street.
- Make the City safer and more culturally vibrant after working hours.
Patrick Todd needs your support to continue to improve the quality of life of all those who live, work and spend time in the capital city of Barbados. His enlightened leadership is needed even more since Bridgetown and its Garrison received the UNESCO inscription as a world heritage site.
Contact the Candidate
Constituency Office (246) 436-5581